September 28, 2022 2:18 am
Parents sue in boy’s death from brain-eating amoeba in Texas

Parents sue in boy’s death from brain-eating amoeba in Texas

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP). — On Monday, the parents of the boy sued the city that he had visited for negligence.

Tariq and Kayla Williams filed lawsuits against Arlington in Tarrant County District Court, Fort Worth. Their son, Bakari Williams, died Sept. 11 after being hospitalized with primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and typically fatal infection caused by the naegleria fowleri amoeba.

The city announced Bakari Williams’ death last week, after water samples taken from Bakari’s splash pad were found to contain the amoeba by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Officials from the city also stated that they had discovered gaps in their daily inspection program, which led to city splash pad standards not being met.

The lawsuit said city employees “failed to adequately monitor and chlorinate the city’s splash pad water, making the splash pad unreasonably dangerous.”

Shortly after their last visit to the splash pad at Don Misenhimer Park, Mitchell said her son developed a fever of more than 102 degrees, felt weak and could not eat or drink anything.

” A little more chlorine and this child might be here today,” Stephen Stewart, one the family’s lawyers, said.

A city spokeswoman declined comment Monday on the lawsuit because officials hadn’t yet seen it.

All four city splash pads were closed for the remainder of the year.

The CDC states that naegleria Fowleri infections are very rare. In the U.S., there have been only 34 cases from 2010 up to 2019.. When amoeba-containing water enters the body through their noses, people are usually infected. This is often when they go swimming in rivers or lakes.